Friday, September 28, 2007

FAQ regarding Divorce # 3: How do I file for a Divorce?

A divorce case is initiated like any other lawsuit with the filing of a legal “pleading.” In the Divorce context, this pleading is the Original Petition for Divorce filed in either a District Court or a County Court with domestic relations jurisdiction. Once filed, this Pleading must be served upon the other spouse, unless the other spouse has voluntarily waived service. The spouse who filed the petition is referred to as the “Petitioner.”