Saturday, December 13, 2008

Divorce Name Change in Texas

At the time a divorce is granted (or annulment or suit to declare a marriage void) the court shall grant a name change to a name used prior to the divorce, unless the court states in the decree a reason for denying the change of name. The court cannot deny a change of name solely to
keep last names of family members the same. You should also be aware that you can apply for a “Change of Name” certificate from the clerk of the Court.