Friday, August 21, 2009

My Divorce Decree has been signed by the Judge, is there anything else I should be doing?

Yes. After the Divorce Decree is signed the Divorce is over, right? Not necessarily. Some of the most important things occur after the Decree is signed and the divorce has been granted. This is when real property transfers are made – such as a Special Warranty Deeds or Deeds of Trusts to Secure an Assumption. This is also when a Qualified Domestic Relations Order, Child Support Wage Withholding Order, and other collateral orders need to be prepared and signed by the Judge if these have not yet been completed. If you are the recipient of child support, you should also think about getting a file opened with the Texas Office of the Attorney General (OAG) in case your Obligor spouse falls behind in his or her child support. Sometimes it is necessary to think about the transfer of personal property, the payment of attorney’s fees, preparation of federal income taxes, the transfer of personal items, cash payments that may have been ordered, and the transfer of other items such as family photographs and other things of sentimental value that may need to be shared. Finally, this is also a good time to consider updating your wills and other estate planning documents.