Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How to Change Your Name in Texas

Most name changes occur when an individual either gets married or divorced; however, for various reasons, people may desire a name change at other points in their lives. In Texas, it is possible to change your name in a separate proceeding. The process to change an adult’s name is different than that to change a child’s name and this article will only address the procedure to change an adult’s name. Please visit our blog again later to for information on how to change a child’s name.

For an adult, to change your name you must follow the correct procedure and meet all requirements. The person seeking a name change must first file a petition in the district court in their county of residence. The petition must include very specific personal information such as your date of birth, social security number and a set of fingerprints. This personal information is required because the court must find that the person seeking the name change is not seeking it to avoid legal problems such as criminal convictions or evading debts. After the petition has been filed, the person seeking the name change will need to appear before the judge and give testimony regarding the personal information in the petition. At that time, if the judge finds no problems, he will sign an order changing your name.

After an order changing the name has been signed by the judge, that person should notify the appropriate governmental agencies such as the Social Security Agency and Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a new social security card and driver’s license. You should also notify relevant private organizations such as credit card companies, banks, employers, and insurance providers. If any agencies or companies require proof of the name change, a certificate can be obtained from the district court clerk.
Blog by Sarah F. Berry